Remember Me

Remember Me

Sunday, January 14, 2018

Letter #70, December 17, 1917

Ristow Barracks
Shorncliff, Kent England

My Dear Mother
          Why Mother do you so want me to let VV see that photo.  No I would much rather you let no one but yourself and Dad see it.  Rumors get about and I will be a Grandfather before I return Lord everybody even in this county think I am married.  One of my old friends says to me “CR I heard you were married I kind of believe its true too” I asked him what he was talking about.  Well he says “You don’t go out any more at nights and your not like the old CR at all.”  By Jove Mother when your own Pals think your married its getting things down pretty fine.  “Eh What” As far as those Winnipeg people go Mother just let them think what they like.  It will give them something to talk about but to you and Dad and VV I am further away from being married than when I left Winnipeg.  Women are like pets, they're all right in your spare time when you need something to amuse you.  I am still in the Office here and am getting on OK.
 I asked you for some money in my last letter, since then I find that with half what I asked you for I could get along with and would be able to pay you back sooner.  If it is possible at all Mother I would sure like it.  But if you can’t spare it then I can't have it and that’s finished with.  You no doubt have said to Dad “ I wonder what that boy wants with the money and I know it's hardly fair not to tell but in this case Mother you can trust me and you won't be wrong.
          Things here are as usual.  Nothing happening of any importance. Law and Ireland should see how these poor wounded and sick have to go through the mill then if they were men at all they would sacrifice a little.  But in both cases I think its cold feet and if they ever do come over the old boys won’t spare them much.
          Well Mother how have you and Dad been keeping winter has started here in earnest wet cold and miserable.  But I am more or less an Englishman now and the climate don’t seem to bother me much.  Yes mother I received your cigs and believe me they are appreciated.
Well Mother remember me to Dad and VV and write when you can.
Your Son

Love Chas





No comments:

Post a Comment