Remember Me

Remember Me

Sunday, March 18, 2018

Letter #77, March 18th, 1918


Estimated date of letter; March 18th, 1918

Dear Mother
I received three letters from you and two from VV today, no mail for a couple of months and then five in one day, is sure some change.  No doubt you were surprised to hear that I was back in France again, but really I got absolutely fed up with England, and even now I am glad I have made the change.
          You want to know if I do the same work as the Forestry men.  No my work is to supervise the sanitation of the camp and administrate medical aid to all those I think need it.  I have a hut to myself.  The front part is just a small drug store, or a dispensary on a miniature scale, it is partitioned in half.  The other part I use for my sleeping quarters and so on.  Every morning a chinaman from the Chinese Labour Co comes and cleans up for me.  The village we are in has no doctor so I am obliged to look after all of them as well as five hundred chinamen.  So you see Mother I have all I can manage. 
          You seem to think that Hessie Montgomery’s’ marriage would kind of hurt my feelings.  Well don’t be foolish Mother, you only know what you hear from other people, I know what I have learnt for myself.  Take it from me, that your son had a few brains left, when it comes to this marrying proposition.  And between you and I mother -------- scratched out -------.
Now don’t go telling the Richmond crowd all this because it only tends to make hard feelings.  And the less they know of my affairs, the better I like them.  Comprend.
Poor old Ireland. As I sit here by myself writing this letter I have to smile.  Oh well, it's none of my business I suppose I will do the same thing someday myself.    But VV makes me laugh when she says she would like to see her brother boss of his own house.  Just tell her I will be boss alright, or there will be no house.
          Well Mother is the farm any better, I do wish you and Dad could get at some little business where you could make a good living without all the worry and trouble.  Well Mother I must close Remember me to Dad and VV
Love Chas





The Chinese Labour Corps on the Western Front 1916-1918
Chinese Labour Corps labourers drawing rations at a forestry camp in Crecy Forest, 27 January 1918.  Date 27 January 1918 (First World War)

No comments:

Post a Comment